A Geelong-like salary cap approach has cashed-up Hawthorn “ready to launch” into the trade market.Plus the latest on Charlie Curnow — and the fringe Cat attracting rival interest.Get the latest player movement news and updates in AFL Trade Whispers!Watch every match of the 2025 Toyota AFL Finals Series before the Grand Final, LIVE with no ad-breaks during play on Kayo Sports | New to Kayo? Join now and get your first month for just $1.HAWKS ‘READY TO LAUNCH’ … AND WHY IT SHOULD BE ‘OPERATION PETRACCA’A Geelong-like salary cap approach has cashed-up Hawthorn “ready to launch” into the trade market, according to Herald Sun reporter Glenn McFarlane, who suggests it’s time for “Operation Petracca”.Despite qualifying for their second straight finals series, the Hawks have ample room in their TPP to target a big-name player at a rival club.Speaking on Fox Footy’s Midweek Tackle on Tuesday night, McFarlane flagged only four Hawthorn players would feature in CODE Sports’ ‘AFL Rich 100’ – which will be released on the weekend – compared to the likes of the Giants (nine), Melbourne (eight) and Collingwood (eight).McFarlane also pointed out the Hawks, according to the CODE Sports list, were the only club that didn’t have a millionaire player – although skipper James Sicily was “so close” to seven figures.“They (the Hawks) are taking the Geelong model in a sense in that they’ve paid a lot of their players ‘unders’ from a couple of years ago – and being able to do that, they’re in the window to really attack,” McFarlane told Midweek Tackle.“They’re ready to launch at the end of this year.“You look at Geelong and what they did. They paid everyone pretty much the same and then they went out and got Jeremy Cameron – and they won a premiership two years later.”Reid extension similar to Judd template | 01:27The Hawks had been suggested as the best-placed club to land Harley Reid if he’d opted to leave WA, but the young star on Tuesday signed a West Coast contract extension that ties him to the club until at least the end of 2028.With Reid off the table and Port Adelaide star Zak Butters to stay at the Power for 2026 – yet remain unsigned beyond that season with a big free agency call to make – McFarlane said the Hawks’ attention should turn to Norm Smith Medallist Christian Petracca.Petracca this week had his exit meeting at Melbourne, with no formal trade discussion reportedly raised. But as flagged by Herald Sun chief football writer Jay Clark on First Crack earlier this month, Petracca had less midfield time towards the back-end of the season.“We know no Harley Reid, no Zak Butters this year – he’ll play on next year with Port Adelaide – but surely it’s ‘Operation Petracca’ now, isn’t it? That’s got to be the situation,” McFarlane said.“They’ve got money to burn to actually get the right player and move some players on as well.“He (Petracca) is exactly what they need. If they can get him back anywhere near that 2021 form, good Christian wins you a premiership.”Fellow Herald Sun reporter Jon Ralph reported trading in Petracca would be a significant risk for Hawthorn.“Christian is a magnificent player, but his salary will hit $1.7 million at one stage … and he’s the most inaccurate forward in the competition this year: 18.24 and 15 total misses,” Ralph told Midweek Tackle.“He’s not the 2021 Christian Petracca. He might be the best on the market right now, but they pushed him out of the midfield late in the season … he’s 30 in January.“It’s a big decision when you go all-in for whoever that player is. Yes they can get the deal done with a future first (pick), current first and a (Jack) Scrimshaw or (Josh) Ward or (Cam) Mackenzie. (But) it’s a big decision. You swing on that one, you don’t want to miss.”Biggest All-Australian snubs for 2025 | 01:39‘DOESN’T BENEFIT ANYONE’: EXPECT SILENCE ON CURNOW CALLDual Coleman medallist Charlie Curnow has stood by his commitment to Carlton, despite renewed speculation he could be tempted by a move north.But any firm Curnow call to seek a move away at the moment wouldn’t benefit any party, according to Herald Sun reporter Jon Ralph.Curnow, contracted until 2029, was at Carlton HQ on Tuesday – although he hadn’t had his exit meeting yet when doorstopped by media in the carpark.Asked by reporters about his future on Tuesday, Curnow told reporters: “I’ve answered all the questions“All looking good. I answered them all (questions) a couple of weeks ago.”Curnow was referring to comments last month after his side’s loss to Hawthorn, telling reporters: “I’m playing at Carlton next year. Done.”Those comments came after he was linked to all of Gold Coast, Sydney and Geelong, with reports of a Sydney move gaining traction last week.“There’s no doubt he’s interested in some way – or interested in the idea – of what a trade would look like,” Ralph told Fox Footy’s Midweek Tackle on Tuesday night. “Whether he’s demanding a trade, that’s not the case right now.“It doesn’t benefit anyone to give this one oxygen right now. Carlton sits back and says ‘we’re not doing anything’, Sydney gives their best offer at some stage in the trade period and Carlton either laughs it out of court or they get interested.”'On a roll': McRae jokes after Dees win | 01:12RIVALS MONITORING FRINGE CATClubs are keeping close tabs on Geelong forward-midfielder Ted Clohesy, reports the Geelong Advertiser’s Dan Batten.A Cats Category B rookie, Clohesy is coming towards the end of his third season on Geelong’s list.Clohesy has been stuck on the fringes of Geelong’s best 22, playing just 12 AFL games for the Cats – with nine of them being as the starting sub. Yet his VFL form has remained strong, averaging 27.8 disposals, 8.0 tackles, 6.5 clearances and 4.9 inside 50s from 11 games.If the Cats wanted to re-sign Clohesy, they’d have to elevate him onto their senior list. The alternative would be to delist him then re-list him as a rookie.But that could be a risky move, with the Geelong Advertiser reporting “at least four AFL clubs” have been monitoring his VFL performances – and delisting Clohesy would give those clubs the chance to pounce before the Cats re-list him.A Geelong Falcons product, Clohesy joined Geelong’s rookie list in late 2022 as he was part of the club’s NGA program.
Click here to read article