Alexei Popyrin has declared he will not be starstruck when he tackles world No.1 and defending US Open champion Jannik Sinner when they clash in the second round in New York on Thursday.Bright starts by Popyrin and Maya Joint at Flushing Meadows on Tuesday has enhanced the likelihood they will experience prime-time status at the US Open given the superstar status of Sinner and the profile of American star Amanda Anisimova.The pair were joined later on the third day in New York by Alex de Minaur and Tristan Schoolkate, who showed nerves of steel to clinch his biggest grand slam win when defeating Italian Lorenzo Sonego 6-3 7-6 (10-8) 1-6 1-6 7-6 (10-6).Watch the biggest Aussie sports & the best from overseas LIVE on Kayo Sports | New to Kayo? Join now and get your first month for just $1.Popyrin, who reached the Rd of 16 last year after stunning defending champion Novak Djokovic in the third round, set up a second round clash against Sinner with a 6-3 6-4 7-6 (3) triumph over Finland’s Emil Ruusuvuori.“I knew if I won, I’d play him straight away. Jannik Sinner is the best in the world ... for a reason. But I don’t feel starstruck by the occasion,” he said.“I’ve been in that position before and I think last ear is a great example of it. If I can stick to my game, if I can play the way I want to play, then I can cause him some trouble.”Popyrin demonstrated his stadium court credentials last summer in the North American hard court swing when joining Pat Rafter, Lleyton Hewitt and Mark Philippoussis as the only Australians to win at Masters level by clinching the Canadian Open.He downed Djokovic with a brilliant performance on Arthur Ashe Stadium before a slight let-down against Frances Tiafoe. While this has been a testing year, he has performed soundly over the past month since teaming up with South African coach Wayne Ferriera.The world No.36 was composed against Ruusuvuori, who was returning to the circuit after a sabbatical due to mental health concerns, and closed out the tiebreaker in convincing fashion to tee up his clash with Sinner.“I think my form (says) no, but I would say I am a better tennis player than I was 12 months ago,” Popyrin said.“I think confidence wise, I was way more confident last year. After winning a Masters 1000, who is not confident? (But) look, I think I am a better tennis player.“I think I know what I am doing and I am clearer on what I am doing the court, much more than last year, and I have owned a few things here and there which has helped me over the last couple of months.”The Australian does face the hardest test in tennis, for Sinner has been nigh on invincible on hard courts over the past couple of years.A double-defending champion in Melbourne and the reigning US Open champion, the Italian allayed any fears regarding his health after withdrawing mid-match from the Cincinnati Open final a week ago due to illness with a strong 6-1 6-1 6-2 win over Vit Kopriva.“I am very happy that I am healthy again. We did our best to ensure we were in the best shape here. Let’s see what is coming,” Sinner said.“Coming back to a grand slam where the emotions are still running ... I am very happy to come back here and compete against the best players in the world.”But Popyrin will enter the second round match with a winning record over the world No.1, having defeated the reigning Wimbledon champion at the Madrid Masters four years ago.NEW YORK, NEW YORK - AUGUST 26: Alexei Popyrin of Australia celebrates match point against Emil Ruusuvuori Source: AFPLater on Tuesday, de Minaur defeated compatriot Chris O’Connoll in straight sets to cruise through to the second round. The No. 8 seed sealed a comfortable 6-3 6-4 6-4 triumph over the fellow Australian O’Connoll at Grandstand stadium.De Minaur will face Japan’s Shintaro Mochizuki in the second round.Playing on an outside court against an opponent with plenty support, Schoolkate clinched a five-set opening round win for the second straight year in New York when edging Sonego in a thriller.After superb net craft enabled him to sneak the second set tiebreaker against Sonego, the winner of four ATP Tour titles, the Western Australian looked to be in dire straits as the word No.46 seized control through the third and fourth sets before breaking early in the fifth.But Schoolkate, who recently broke into the top 100 for the first time, is a determined soul and was able to rebound to draw level at 3-all before an impressive performance in the supertiebreaker.Meanwhile, talented teenager Joint snared her first major win for the season when showing significant grit in the second set against Victoria Jimenez Kasintseva to prevail 6-4 7-6 (6). Her reward is a clash with Anisimova, a recent finalist at Wimbledon.Anisimova’s progression came at the expense of another Australian, Kimberly Birrell, whose serve let her down late in an even first set in an outing on Louis Armstrong Stadium claimed by the American 6-3 6-2.As Joint was discussing her opening round win, she had her eyes peeled to a television behind the press call that began flashing Anisimova’s name after the powerful baseliner ended the hopes of the fourth-ranked Australian.Although still in the infancy of her career, the 19-year-old is no stranger to tackling an American on a big stadium court.Maya Joint of Australia reacts against Victoria Jimenez Kasintseva. Source: Getty ImagesA year ago in New York she faced Madison Keys, the reigning Australian Open champion and a former finalist at Flushing Meadows, on Arthur Ashe Stadium. In Melbourne earlier this year she faced Jessica Pegula on John Cain Arena in her Australian Open debut.Both matches were one-sided. But it is indisputable that Joint, the third-highest ranked teenager in the world, continues to improve.She said the experience of playing Keys on Arthur Ashe Stadium, which can seat 20,000 fans, was eye-opening and one that took some getting used to. Noting that she could see herself on one of the big screens around the upper-sections of the court was disconcerting.“It was a bit louder than I thought it was going to be during the points, just (with) all the noise from everybody,” she said.“But it was really fun being on that court. It was really interesting seeing myself playing while I am on the big screen. that took me a little bit to get used to. But I am excited. It doesn’t really bother me if the crowd is against me. I just want to show them some good tennis.”Medvedev Madness incites US Open 'RIOT' | 02:17The surge in her ranking from 135 in New York last year to 43 is one measure of how far the diminutive Australian has come. So, too, the number of tour level matches Joint, who overcame a 0-4 deficit in the second set, has claimed in her first full season at the top level.Last year the US Open success on debut at a grand slam was her sole win from three matches at the higher level, as Joint spent the majority of her year on the secondary circuit building her ranking while maturing her game.Having opted out of the college scholarship at the University of Texas given her form against hardened professionals, she has won 23 of the 38 matches she has played on the WTA Tour this year, garnering titles in Morocco and at Eastbourne.“I think I am getting more comfortable. I think there will always be nerves and excitement in the first couple of games (while I am) taking it all in,” she said.“But I have definitely gotten more confident in my game and (believe) I do belong on some of those courts.”Later on day three, Australia’s Ajla Tomljanovic went down to reigning Roland Garros champion Coco Gauff 6-4 6-7 7-5 in a valiant performance on Arthur Ashe Stadium.Tomljanovic sent a scare through the New York crowd after clinching the second set in a tiebreak, with scores tied at 5-5 in the decider. However, No. 3 seed Gauff prevailed to set up a second-round match against Croatia’s Donna Vekic.
Click here to read article