Micah Parsons contract dispute: Adam Schefter reveals supposed Dallas Cowboys offer from Jerry Jones

0
The ongoing and at times contentious Jerry Jones–Micah Parsons contract dispute has mostly been a tale of he-said, he-said regarding a supposed contract offer the Dallas Cowboys owner made back in March. Jones has long maintained that offer was a “handshake” agreement with Parsons, though the two-time All-Pro linebacker has disputed any finality to the offer, preferring Jones negotiate with his agent instead.

Now we know the details of Jones’ alleged “handshake” agreement with Parsons.

ESPN insider Adam Schefter revealed Thursday afternoon that Jones allegedly offered Parsons a five-year deal with an average salary of $40.5 million per year that would have instantly made Parsons the highest-paid non-quarterback in NFL history. Of course, Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker T.J. Watt signed a 3-year, $123 million deal in mid-July that made him the NFL’s highest-paid non-QB with an average annual salary of $41 million. Cleveland Browns pass rusher Myles Garrett signed a four-year, $160 million deal in late March.

“Here’s what I know, he had a year left on (his current) deal and I think it might have been five more (years) at $40.5 (million),” Schefter said Thursday afternoon on The Pat McAfee Show. “So, I don’t know if that included the (current) year or not. That’s why I don’t want to give that total number. I know that the new deal that Jerry thought they had an agreement that averaged $40.5 million a year. That I do know.”

Schefter’s revelation comes as the Cowboys are reportedly reconsidering potential trade possibilities involving Parsons, who formally requested a trade Aug. 1 while holding out all of preseason camp amid his contract dispute. The Cowboys kick off the 2025 NFL regular season Sept. 4 on Thursday Night Football vs. the reigning Super Bowl LIX champion Philadelphia Eagles.

Parsons currently remains under contract after Dallas exercised the fifth-year option on his rookie deal this offseason, and Jones has repeatedly threatened to apply the team’s franchise tag each of the next two years in order to keep his star pass rusher a Cowboy through the 2027 season.

Dallas Cowboys reportedly change their tune on trade offers for Micah Parsons

But with the regular season just a week away, and no resolution in sight, Jones and the Dallas Cowboys front office are evaluating all their options.

“It’s complicated because what would have to happen here is that another team would have to present a contract compelling enough to Micah to make him want to take it, at which point that team then would have to go to Dallas to work out compensation,” Schefter said earlier on The Pat McAfee Show. “And I don’t think they’re at that level right now. They’re just not there.”

Until terms can be agreed to by a new team, or a trade is finalized, Parsons isn’t going anywhere. And until terms get locked in, other teams don’t necessarily know what they have to work with in terms of a trade.

So it’s a two-fold process. And given that Dallas is only just now reportedly willing to entertain trade offers, it might take some time.

“I don’t think the conversations with other teams and Micah and his agent are there yet,” Schefter said. “And so it’s complicated, like I said, there’s a lot of layers that have to happen. There’s a certain order that has to be followed here.”

— On3’s Thomas Goldkamp contributed to this report.

Click here to read article

Related Articles